Sunday, September 13, 2009

Target setting- a tool for today's uncertainty

Corporate world today is best summarized with one single word~ uncertainty. Companies divesting non core business, aggressive corporate take over, demanding shareholders expecations, all would means that no job is secure today.

Since Sara Lee announced it's plan to divest the non core business, most of my colleagues have started to look for jobs. One interesting case was a close acquitant of mine whom is offered a job in a food company which now a target of take over by another global player.

Is she jumping out from a pot of hot soup and making her way to anothert? As i was listening to her concerns, i start to realize how important for every decision to be made based on a set of clear objective.

In management term, each action/ decision must be based made based on a a clear set of target.

As i recalled my decision to join Sara Lee few years back was based on 2 clear targets. To learn the latest ERP skill which is SAP and to practice and implement integrated supply chain in my new job. Holding both targets close to my heart, most of my actions and drives in my job were working towards achieving these targets. Even today i am facing job insecurity, i would still rate a 100% achievement and feel no regret in my decision to join this company.

I hope my close acquitant would able to clearly set her targets for joining the food company she so desired to join (that is before the news of take over). As circumstances change, having the clear target in mind would guild her to the right path. Good luck my dear friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment